Welcome to Albion!
Greater Albion Chamber of Commerce & Visitors Bureau
Albion has a rich history and arts culture. We invite you to visit:
201 S. Superior St.
Albion, MI 49224
Recently restored, the Bohm Theatre re-opened for movies, live productions, and concerts on October 16, 2014. The Bohm Theatre was restored to its original look with $4 million dollars worth of grants from the local community and historic preservation grants.
The Gardner House Museum
509 S. Superior St., Albion, MI 49224
This house was built by Augustus P. Gardner, an Albion hardware merchant, in 1875. He lived there thirty years and died in 1905. The house was abandoned until the Albion Historical Society purchased it in 1966 and turned it into a museum: five of the rooms are furnished as a nineteenth-century home and, for example, you can see in the basement a primitive tool room and a typical kitchen from the 19th century.
The Gardner House Museum is listed in the National Register of Historical Places.The Gardner House Museum is open on weekends from 2-4 pm, Mother's Day through September.
The Bobbitt Visual Arts Center
805 E. Cass St., Albion College Campus
Phone : (517) 629-1000
The Bobbitt Visual Arts Museum is located at 805 E. Cass Street on Albion College's campus. It hosts different exhibitions during the academic year. Arts from nationally known artists, regional museums, collectors and from the students themselves are exhibited.
606 E. Cass St., Albion College Campus
Phone: (517) 629-1000
Albion College's Observatory was built in 1883-1884. It is located at 606 E. Cass Street on Albion College's campus. Dr Samuel Dickie who later became president of the college was the project initiator. The original telescope is still in place and in 1984 the Observatory was refurbished as the college Ethics Center.
611 E. Porter Street, Albion, Michigan 49224
Phone: (517) 629-1000
Seating more than 1,400 people, Goodrich Chapel is named in honor of Dr. Frederic S. Goodrich who was a respected English Bible teacher at Albion College and College chaplain for more than 50 years. It houses the College Music Department in its basement but the most impressive musical thing is in the back of the sanctuary : the chancel area is surrounded by 3,462 pipes of the Edward E. Horner Memorial Organ.
Concerts are performed by the orchestra of Albion College and by students bands.
1301 S. Superior Street, Albion, MI
Riverside Cemetery is located at 1301 S. Superior St., south of town. Riverside Cemetery got its final name in 1886 after having been named the Albion Cemetery and the Albion Burying Ground.
Enlarged in 1853, 1885 and 1914, it covers now forty-six acres. Within the Cemetery, it is possible to find various ethnic groups represented such as "The Russian Section" and "German Hill". There is also a section for African American World War I veterans, three of whom were Tuskegee Airmen. Michigan Secretary of State Washington Gardner (1845-1928) is buried in Riverside Cemetery as well as Warren G. Hooper. Hooper, a Michigan State Senator was shot by members of the Purple Gang before he could stand witness to the corruption of some powerful politicians...
Go and see this huge historical site and if you want further information about the cemetery or the persons it contains, "A History of Riverside Cemetery in Albion, Michigan" by local historian Frank Passic is available at the Greater Albion Chamber of Commerce or please call : 517-629-2479 (Doug Jones, Cemetery Superintendent).
The First Presbyterian Church
305 East Porter Street, Albion, MI 49224
Phone: (517) 629-9157
Established in 1837, Presbyterians arrived in the same year as the Baptists, a year after the Methodists. Albion's residents had therefore their choice of three churches until the 1840's during which the Episcopals and the Catholics arrived. The three first churches had to share th building called "the Little Red Schoolhouse" which was used as school and church on Sundays. Because of the conflicts generated as soon as a church requested particular Sundays out-of-turn for special events, each church wanted to build its own worship place.
If the Methodists were the first to get their own church, the Presbyterians soon followed and built their first church in 1840. A new church was erected on the same place in 1857 which burned in 1873. E. Myers (designer of Michigan's state present capitol) planned a new church which were ravaged by fire too in 1873. The present church was built in 1874 incorporating two stained-glass windows saved from flames.
The Holy Ascension Orthodox Church
810 Austin Avenue, Albion, MI 49224
This Church is one of the historical site landmarks of the state of Michigan in Albion. In the early 20th century, Russian people formed a "Foreign Colony" in the city of Albion, coming to work at the Malleable Iron Company. In the middle of the 1910's, there were about 600 East European immigrants living in this industrial city. Once a month, a priest came from Detroit to hold Orthodox Church services which were attended by almost all of these foreign workers.
By 1915, permission was granted to build an Orthodox Church and a fund drive was organised within the city. It rose $ 5,000 towards building costs. The field for the Church was chosen by Helen Alexandrana Egnatuk, a Belarusian woman who was the leader of the Russian community. The cornerstone was laid on Sunday, April 30, 1916 and the church was constructed during that summer and consecrated on Thanksgiving Day, 1916.
Today, services are held on Sundays et 10:00 am and you can attend Vespers on Saturdays at 6:00 pm.